Backing Up Is Hard To Do

15 02 2007

I was unable to go to work yesterday, I was forced to concede defeat to the Nor’easter that dumped a couple feet on snow on the area.  Damn, I was forced, forced, to stay home and watch The Departed.

Today I woke to clear blue skies and knew their would be no staying home from work today.  Right?

Unlike the previous day, everything was plowed this morning.  All I had to do was back out of my parking space.  Turns out, backing out my parking space was going to be as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Plow.

The plowing had created a wall of well-packed snow behind my car, which was deep enough on it own.  I started backing my car out of the space but only got so far before the tires starting spinning fruitlessly.  I spent a while rocking forward and back, forward and back, occasionally stepping out to dig out snow from under the car and tires.  I spent at least twenty minutes in this fashion and managed to back out only three feet or so.  I was also moving steadily sideways to the right where there were concrete parking dividers and then a lovely and inviting hill.  I was beginning to wonder if yet again I was going to be unable to make it to work when a couple of Alfred University Physical Plant crew happened to be driving by.  They stopped and helped push the car as I attempted to back out.  Together we made another foot of progress until the car reached a state of apparent equilibrium.  There was no forward, no back, no movement save the spinning of my tires.  No amount of help was budging my car.

The helpful Physical Plant called for backup and in a minute another gentleman arrived.  He joined the pushing-crew, but to no avail, the car was well-rooted.  They called for additional backup and left briefly while help made its way to me.  On my own I managed to rock the car back another couple inches.  After a few minutes of trying, everyone was back with three new men and two new trucks.  Together, all SIX men helped push my car.  I tried moving forward and back, but still, the car was simply stuck.  Since it was clear that pushing was useless, eventually one of the plow drivers backed up his truck to my bumper and hooked a chain to the back of my car and pulled me out.  Even that wasn’t doing much at first.  In the end, it took a total of 45 minutes to get me out of my parking space, but I was free free free.  Free to go to work, but that was the goal after all.

The ride to work was thankfully uneventful.  The drive to work looked less like I was driving on roads and more like I was riding a path carved out of the wilderness.  It was all snow, the black of the asphalt could not be seen through the well-packed layer of snow on top.  It looked like driving through a canyon, not that the walls of snow were that deep on the sides of the road, but that was the impression.  I was surprised that despite how snowy the roads looked, the car didn’t slip at all.  I arrived at work an hour late, soaked through from digging out of my parking space.

Viva winter!




One response

16 02 2007

You should have stayed home 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: